International Students

Fee-related information and costs

International students

Fee-related information

International students are required to pay their tuition fees up-front in full unless special arrangements have been made in writing. Failure to pay will result in cancellation of your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). If your CoE is cancelled, SCD Graduate Research School will have to report the cancellation to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA). In this situation, you must contact DHA within 28 days of your CoE cancellation date. Failure to contact the Department of Home Affairs may result in the automatic cancellation of your student visa.

Tuition Protection Service (TPS)

Students studying on an Australia student visa are covered by the Tuition Protection Service (TPS), an initiative of the Australian Government to assist international students whose education providers are unable to fully deliver their course of study. The TPS ensures that international students are able to either:

      • complete their studies in another course or with another education provider or
      • receive a refund of their unspent tuition fees.

Sydney College of Divinity makes a compulsory payment to the Government to protect the interests of our international students.

Withdrawal and Refunds

In the event that a CoE is withdrawn by the Sydney College of Divinity Graduate Research School on the grounds that the original offer was made on the basis of incomplete or incorrect information supplied by the international student, the college reserves the right to withhold 10% of the tuition fee paid for the first semester and to refund the balance. Read the Refund and Withdrawal Policy (opens on to the Sydney College of Divinity home website).


Understand your costs 

As a condition of the Australia student visa, students must have sufficient funds to pay all costs of studying in Australia, including tuition fees, living expenses, Overseas Health Cover, return airfares and visa fees.


Tuition fees charged by the Sydney College of Divinity Graduate School of Research is the same for international and domestic students. Prospective students should factor in increases to fees over the life of the course as fees may be subject to increases every academic year. International students may be required to make an upfront fee payment and will be required to pay their full fees before the census dates. Learn more about the HDR course fees, census dates, unpaid fees, withdrawal and refund policy.

Study costs

Research students have to attend seminars, workshops, meet with their supervisor, undertake research at different locations (eg visit different libraries, visit people for interviews), bind their thesis and meet other academic regulations that may incur costs. Students should consider these costs as they plan their finances for study.

Living costs

Knowing the average living costs in Australia is an important part of your financial preparation. As of October 2019 the 12-month living costs are;

      • For students or guardians – AUD$21,041
      • For partners coming with you – AUD$7,362
      • For a child coming with you – AUD$3,152

To help you understand more about your everyday costs visit Study in Australia. Living costs vary depending on your location within Australia, and your study and personal needs.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Health insurance is compulsory for most international students who are studying in Australia. It is a condition of your student visa that you maintain OSHC for the duration of your studies. You must purchase your health cover from an Australian Government-approved provider.

Visa Costs

There are costs associated with applying for a visa. This will include the visa fees and any other expense associated with it (eg. administrative costs to prepare the documents requested).

Travel expenses

Airfares to and from Australia to your country of residence will form part our expenses. Once in Australia you may need to travel for study, leisure and other purposes.

Additional costs

In addition one must be prepared for emergencies, increase costs associated with utility bills which may vary depending on usage, costs associated with processing your admission requirements (eg fee to translate transcripts to English) and other expenses.

You may also be able to start work in Australia on a student visa after you have commenced the course. Students studying a postgraduate research course (Higher Degree by Research) are exempt from the restricted work hours and can work unlimited hours. Paid work may help to contribute to your finances once you are in Australia. Always check the conditions of your visa before you decide to commence any work.

Back to top