How to Apply
1. Decide which research degree you are interested in
You should consider how much time you can devote to your research. The Master of Philosophy takes a year full time or two years part time whereas the Doctoral degrees take 3 to 4 years full time or 6 – 8 years part time. You should also think about which research degrees is most suited to your research topic.
Read about our research degrees here.
Contact our Research Director for advice: Professor James Harrison Tel +61 2 9889 1969 Email [email protected]
2. Check your eligibility
Read the regulations for your chosen degree, and if in doubt, consult our Research Director.
- Regulations for the Master of Philosophy
- Regulations for the Doctor of Ministry and Doctor of Philosophy
- Regulations for the Doctor of Theology
3. Fill in the forms
If you are applying for entry to the Doctor of Ministry you also need to provide Certification of Experience in Ministry
If you are an international student, please see Information for International Students.
4. Check that you have all the supporting documents
You need to provide a range of supporting documents with your forms. Here is a checklist:
- Birth Certificate or Passport
- Passport size photograph
- Evidence of residency (if required)
- Academic Transcripts – secondary and / or tertiary
- Academic Transcripts – seeking credit for previous study
- Fee Help Application (if applying for Fee Help)
- Evidence of being a Pensioner (if required)
- IELTS Test Results (if required)
5. Send in your forms and supporting documents
When you have completed your forms and collected all your supporting documents, send them by email and in hard copy to our Research Director:
Professor James Harrison
Director of Research, Sydney College of Divinity, PO Box 1882, Macquarie Centre NSW 2113
Email: [email protected]
6. Attend an interview
If everything is in order, you’ll be invited to attend an interview with our Research Director. Interviews can be conducted via telephone, Skype or Zoom.
7. The Research Committee considers your application
The SCD Research Committee will make the decision whether or not to accept your application. If you are successful, you will be admitted on a provisional basis and assigned a Principal and Secondary Supervisor. They will assist you to prepare a Research Proposal. Once your Research Proposal is accepted, your candidacy will be confirmed.